If you are fond of water sports, then you must try out stand-up paddle boarding. Beginners may find it challenging to do such a thing but take your time to gain enough experience. It is not only a good source of entertainment but a core workout to stay fit.
Anyone can try this activity by enhancing their skills in a better way. You can go for the ride solo or with your partner. Visit standuppaddleboardworld.com to get a paddle board for limitless entertainment and enjoyment.
There will be no need to get it on rent. You can take it on any bay, ocean, or sea and indulge in this activity whenever you want. If you are ready to get a new experience, you should know how to do this activity. Therefore, in the following write-up, we will discuss various tips on how one can do stand-up paddle boarding.
1. Understand Different SUPs Variety
The paddle boards are available in different shapes and sizes. If you compare it with the surfboard, then it is comparatively thicker for better stability. Let us consider various SUPs from which you can choose the perfect one for your water ride.
- All-round: It is the perfect option for beginners, which can glide in peaceful lakes and noisy oceans. It is a versatile board that allows you to do activities like yoga, surfing, touring, fishing, etc.
- Inflatable: It is an easy-storage board that you can roll up and store it in a bag with ease. It is durable and hard to damage. It is a thumbs up for beginners.
- Fishing: Get this SUP with enough space for fishing. If you want to go in between the ocean and catch fish, then it is the perfect option to buy.
- Yoga: It is another board with an expanded deck pad to provide enough space for yoga. It is also inflatable and keeps you stable and dry.
- Touring: If you want to go on a long-distance water adventure, you need the touring boards. It is short and wide with a pointed nose and is perfect for tracking and other race competitions. Beginners may find it difficult to operate.
- Surf: Like its name, it is meant for surfing and is less stable on the water. Experienced riders can operate it well.
2. Necessary Equipment
When you are going for paddle boarding, ensure that you carry all the necessary equipment. Consider the list of essentials:
- Paddles: The paddles are necessary to move the board. It should be made up of durable materials like wood, plastic, aluminum, fiber, etc. The size should lie between 7 to 10 inches. Bend the sharp blade at a certain angle to move forward.
- Leash: It is something that keeps you connected to the platform. It is a Velcro tape that you need to wrap the tape around your ankle. You can get the leash in every size and shape. If you are riding in strong tides, it is quite easy to move away from your board.
- Board Bag: The board can damage if you do not keep it with care. It is necessary to have a bag in which you can keep the board and other accessories.
- Life Vest: As a beginner, it can be challenging to get yourself in water without any support. You must carry a life vest, and you must know all the safety tips before you start doing this activity.
3. Correct Paddle Size
The paddle size depends on many factors, like arm length, person and board height, boarding type, etc. You have to be comfortable while handing the paddle if you want to be involved in this water activity.
4. Way to Stand-up over the Board
You can start practicing on the calm water and consider the board size of at least 30 inches width and 11 feet long to get better stability. When you stand up on the platform, you should be comfortable and have enough confidence to go further. If you are unstable, then practice more to be on the platform with ease. You can also start standing by practicing the kneeling position.
5. Knowing the Paddling Techniques
After maintaining the balance, the challenging part is to operate the paddles. It is necessary to straighten your arm towards your body for forward extension.
You must rotate the shoulder to extend your reach and put the paddle inside the water. Start pulling the paddle straight and make strokes on both sides turn by turn.
6. Perfect Way to Carry the Board
If you move from one place to another with a board, you can pick it up with a handle, over your shoulder, car rack, etc. Ensure that there should be no damage to its body because it can be of no use to you once you damage it.
7. Clothing and Other Accessories
When you go for any water sport, you cannot wear anything. You have to consider a swimsuit, rash guard, shorts, etc. Get protection from the sun and water. Staying outdoors on a board in water can make you sick. Get a light and whistle to get help when stuck.
8. Do not Afraid to Try Something New
As a beginner, you may get scared of tides and feel unsafe when you ride the board. It is necessary not to be afraid while trying anything new. You should be confident, take enough training, and practice in calm waters before you go for the strong tides. Learn how you can get a stand-up paddle boarding experience.
Paddle boarding is not an easy water sport like many people expect. It requires a lot of practice, training, and effort to learn. If you are a beginner, you may face a lot of difficulties in the beginning.
Once you grasp all the techniques and get enough training, you will ride over the water streams with ease. Follow all the mentioned tips above and start taking interest in this amazing activity.