Artists & Projects Directory
Lars Jan/Early Morning Opera
LARS JAN is a director, designer, writer and media artist, and founding artistic director of Early Morning Opera, a multidisciplinary art lab based in Los Angeles specializing in live performance. His recent multimedia performance/installation, Abacus, was commissioned by the Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC) in Troy, NY; premiered at EMPAC’s inaugural Filament Festival (2010); and was presented at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival’s “New Frontiers” program and at REDCAT in Los Angeles. Other recent projects include A Suicide Bombing by Invitation Only, a performance/installation seen at the Hi-Lite Gallery in Los Angeles and The Whitney Museum in NYC; and Takes, a cinematic dance performance/installation presented by Philadelphia Live Arts Festival, Kelly-Strayhorn Theatre (Pittsburgh) and 3 Legged Dog Art & Technology Center (NYC).
A 2013-2014 TED Senior Fellow, Mr. Jan has held artistic and teaching residencies at The MacDowell Colony, EMPAC, Bank of America/Brookfield Properties Arts Program, Maggie Allesee National Center for Choreography, Princeton University’s Atelier Program, and Mount Holyoke, Swarthmore, and Amherst Colleges. He was awarded a Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship to pursue his MFA in Directing and Integrated Media at the California Institute of the Arts. He received the 2008 Sherwood Award, granted by Center Theatre Group to an innovative theatre artist in Los Angeles, which led to creation and premiere of The Lunacy Commission at the Kirk Douglas Theatre.
The son of first generation émigrés from Afghanistan and Poland, Jan is committed to international artistic exchange. In summer 2005, as artist-in-residence at Kabul University, he taught and developed public art projects throughout Afghanistan. In 2003-04, he lived in Kyoto, where he trained and performed as a head puppeteer under Abe Hidehiko, designated an "Intangible Cultural Treasure" by the Japanese government. He also traveled on two recording expeditions through rural Ukraine with virtuoso vocalist Marjana Sadowska, resulting in their performance collaboration, Without Ground.
- Holoscenes Full Press Reviews
- Holoscenes Press Kit
- Triptych Image UCLA Residency 3.2013
- HOLOSCENES project birdseye sketch
- HOLOSCENES project concept sketch
- Open Call for Collaborators
- Lars Jan profile in Modern Painters
- Holoscenes Blog post on Fast Company
- Holoscenes Protoype Workshop at EMPAC
- HOLOSCENESTime Lapse Video
- Collaborate on Holoscenes - our Tumblr page
- Nuit Blanche 2014: Holoscenes
- Lars Jan on TED Blog
- Lars Jan on Vimeo
- Early Morning Opera website
- Holoscenes @ Nuit Blanche
- Holoscenes Show & Tell photos
- "Cleaning ritual" - Holoscenes @ Nuit Blanche
- "Making a Bed" - Holoscenes @ Nuit Blanche